[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r24980 by robertm

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Jun 7 16:13:51 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 7, 2010 at 9:10 AM, Greg Estabrooks <greg at phaze.org> wrote:
>> I'm not sure if a boolean "processed" flag is robust enough.  To me it
>> seems like a tri-state flag would be better (unprocessed, processed &
>> never process).  That way you could have a script go through and look
>> for updated metadata for all the "processed" stuff but leave the
>> "never process" stuff alone.
>

>  I think you are right.   I have a ton of baby videos from when my daughter was little and other stuff than I never want metadata polled for. Granted they are all under 1 directory :)

I am unlikely to ever support an option to go back trough and
re-re-re-grab metadata from our sources.  It's disrespectful and
unfair to constantly be pulling the same metadata over and over.  I
personally feel like it's selfish and unfair to the unpaid, free data
sources we use.  If we were paying for the bandwidth/data, it would be
one thing, but we're not, and I'm of a mind that we need to be "good
citizens."  The only advantage to a three-state system is to enable
this kind of thing, and I'm not okay with it.  If you want an update
on an item, reset its metadata and re-grab.  If you want an update on
all your items, clear your database and re-add.  If you want regular
re-grabs of your entire library, you have come to the wrong place.

Again, if you don't want metadata pulled for your home videos and baby
stuff, simply mark it as processed, there's a menu option to do it and
everything.

Robert