[mythtv] OSD timeout settings

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue Jun 15 18:49:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:33:48AM -0700, Manuel McLure wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Mark Kendall <mark.kendall at gmail.com> wrote:
> > But why would you want a different look
> > and feel for the OSD and the main UI?
>
> I'll throw my two cents in and mention my opinion. I would be somewhat
> unhappy if I couldn't have Arclight as my main theme and an OSD
> similar to BlackCurve - the transparency is a big feature to me since
> it lets me see the show running behind the OSD. I believe that's why
> people might want a different OSD theme from their main theme - the
> OSD theme overlays/interrupts the video playback, so people might want
> an OSD theme that's less intrusive and has less eye-candy than their
> main theme.

I would agree.  The OSD that matches some themes provides hardly any
useful info, while other OSD themes provide great info.  So I pick the OSD
I find useful for the OSD, and I pick a theme for the menus that I like.

So I use mythcenter for my menus, and I can't even remember the name of
the one I use for the OSD.  It certainly looks nothing like mythcenter
at all.

> I think that moving the OSD to MythUI is a good thing. I'm a little
> less sanguine about forcing the OSD theme to be the same as the main
> Myth theme. If I'd been listening on the list when this was being
> discussed I would have raised my opinion then, but unfortunately I was
> not. Also, as far as MythUI is concerned I'm definitely in the user
> rather than developer category, so I know my opinion doesn't have as
> much weight as a developer's.

Well any developer that ignores users is a lousy developer in general.
This doesn't mean the user is always right (they often are not), but
their opinion should at least be considered.

--
Len Sorensen