[mythtv] OSD timeout settings

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Jun 16 02:20:46 UTC 2010

On 06/15/2010 08:47 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> On 16 June 2010 10:33, David Engel wrote:
>
>> As promised, here is a hack to restore a general OSD timeout.  Suggest
>> a way to re implement the others and I'll take a look at them too.
>>
> :)
>
> While you're at it, if you could have the 2 previous settings instead
> , like one when you just changed channels (3s default), and one wen
> you press info (10s default)
>
> Back on my vuvuzela filter...

That's exactly what I was talking about.  There were 2 settings***,
"Program info OSD time-out", default 3 seconds, and "General OSD
time-out (sec)", default 2 seconds.  I /still/ think the only reason
that people think these settings are necessary is because we had such
stupid default values for them.  If, instead, we did what you're
suggesting--set appropriate values for each OSD displayed--we wouldn't
need a bunch of settings.

Also, I would /very/ much prefer if someone is going to put these in
that they come up with a better design for them than what we had
previously.  I spend enough of my time redoing the "I'll just throw in a
quick setting" that we've accumulated over the years, and don't really
want to have to do it for these, too.  Why just do the same broken
design we had before?  (A broken design with a couple of settings
loosely applied to some, but not all OSD screens--OK, at least with
David's approach, the value is applied to all OSD screens, so there's no
confusion.)

Note that we have OSD screens that need long timeouts (program_info, the
program information window; and browse_info, the OSD window displayed
during channel browsing).  We have others that might not need as much
time (osd_status, the "overall status" window, which usually displays
playback progress).  And we have another that may need to be displayed
for different amounts of time (osd_message, the OSD text
message/notification popup).

Looking at it more from the "What do we display?" standpoint, some
should be displayed for a short time (such as the Jump Forward/Back and
Skip Ahead/Back and Caption On/Off messages), others for a medium
duration (Volume and Adjust Time Stretch and Adjust Audio Sync),
probably others for a long time, and others for an "appropriate"
time--i.e. the commercial notification window for those who specify
"Notify, but do not skip" for the "Automatically skip commercials"
setting should be displayed for "Commercial skip notify amount" + some
value (maybe 1 or 2 seconds longer).  I'm sure there are a lot more in
there, too.

As long as we have the opportunity to do it over, why not do it better
this time?

Just my $0.02.

Mike

***I'm ignoring the "UDP notify OSD time-out", default 5 seconds, which
was used for UDP messages with MythNotify since that's one that few
people used and didn't affect normal TV viewing.  This would also need
to be handled appropriately--likely with a "long" duration.