[mythtv] Renewing PostgreSQL support

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Jun 21 18:10:01 UTC 2010

On 06/21/2010 02:04 PM, Richard Morton wrote:
> I would expect that mSQL or SQLlite is sufficient for Myth; epecially
> if the clients could be re-engineered to proxy requests to the db via
> the backends.

The (Big Ugly) Scheduler Query is too much for SQLite.  We've done tests
before and it just couldn't hack it.  It may be possible to make it
work, but we have enough MySQLisms in the code that it's a lot easier
just to go to an embedded MySQL--and doing so accomplishes some of our
long-term goals.  Specifically, it would prevent anyone other than the
master backend from accessing the database (since embedded mysql is not
a client/server architecture and allows only single-process access to
the DB)--meaning all clients would have access to all data via the
protocol and the master backend would be able to ensure data integrity
without worrying about clients breaking the data.

I hope to start work on embedding MySQL after 0.24 is released.

Mike