[mythtv] Renewing PostgreSQL support

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 00:05:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 02:04 PM, Richard Morton wrote:
>>
>> I would expect that mSQL or SQLlite is sufficient for Myth; epecially
>> if the clients could be re-engineered to proxy requests to the db via
>> the backends.
>>

> The (Big Ugly) Scheduler Query is too much for SQLite.  We've done tests
> before and it just couldn't hack it.  It may be possible to make it work,
> but we have enough MySQLisms in the code that it's a lot easier just to go
> to an embedded MySQL--and doing so accomplishes some of our long-term goals.
>  Specifically, it would prevent anyone other than the master backend from
> accessing the database (since embedded mysql is not a client/server
> architecture and allows only single-process access to the DB)--meaning all
> clients would have access to all data via the protocol and the master
> backend would be able to ensure data integrity without worrying about
> clients breaking the data.
>
> I hope to start work on embedding MySQL after 0.24 is released.
>
> Mike

Wow...as someone who understands MySQL well and *really* likes having
access to the database, I have to tell you I really don't like that
one at all.  As a matter of fact, having access to that data is in
fact one of the (many) things I prefer about MythTV to proprietary
DVRs.

What happens in that situation with stuff like optimizing, database
backups etc if the backend process is the only thing that has access
to the database.  I don't know if anyone actually does this, but it
would also make having the DB on a separate server impossible, which
I'd think is doable now.

Seriously...I really appreciate all the work done by all the devs and
don't want to sound negative, but between this, the removal of
external player support and mandatory storage groups in mythvideo, I'm
not sure I can remember the last time I heard about an upcoming MythTV
change that I actually liked...it's really really starting to bring me
down in a big way.

Tom