[mythtv] Renewing PostgreSQL support

Ross Campbell ross.campbell at gmail.com
Tue Jun 22 01:07:49 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:36 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> On 06/21/2010 08:05 PM, Tom Dexter wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:10 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>> I hope to start work on embedding MySQL after 0.24 is released.
>>
>> Wow...as someone who understands MySQL well and *really* likes having
>> access to the database, I have to tell you I really don't like that
>> one at all.  As a matter of fact, having access to that data is in
>> fact one of the (many) things I prefer about MythTV to proprietary
>> DVRs.
>
> Well, that's where you come in.  Any data you need made available
> needs to be made available through some non-direct-access protocol--so
> that the backend can prevent any data integrity issues.  So, just code up
> patches to make available whatever data you need.  (That said, the only
> real difference you're likely to notice is that the mysql command-line app will
> no longer be used to access the data.  You'll still have full access to all your
> data--you'll just access it in a way that doesn't involve SQL.)

Surely I can't be the only one who uses phpmyadmin for all sorts of
data management in mythtv -- from managing channel lineup table
changes, to changing metadata by hand, etc. I really appreciate the
ability to access the mythconverg database via sql.

-Ross