[mythtv] Could we use thetvdb for tv preview images?

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Tue Jun 29 16:54:24 UTC 2010

Hi, I quite like the preview images in the main mythtv tv episode lists,
but at least for me they are frequently not that descriptive of the
program.  I have started to poke around a little with regards to having
previewgenerator.cpp instead pull down something like the main image
that thetvdb uses for the series image.  The idea was that the image
would then be the same for all episodes of the series, but at least it
would then be quite recognisable while scrolling.

Second idea was to pull down the episode image where available, but use
the series image where it's not (the majority of the less popular
shows).  This would seem to have some much larger bandwidth implications
though

It seems like this ought to have been a popular feature request, but
apart from some older discussions about integration into mythvideo I
can't really see any previous debates about using the artwork in the tv
side of mythtv?

Any comments?  Things to consider?  Pointers to existing code or other
reasons to do or not do this?

Thanks

Ed W