[mythtv] 0.23 Release Date

Robert Shields rwshields at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 16:28:42 UTC 2010

> BTW, this is a very wrong approach - to wait for a release to see if the
> error you had in previous version persists. That way you could wait
> forever.If you wanted to actually help then I'd suggest you to install
> the current trunk SVN and test it deeply. If the error persists then
> fill the ticket and you have at least a chance that 0.23 will be
> released with that problem fixed.

Fair enough, I see your point.  Likewise, if 0.23 release was going to be
tomorrow then what would this accomplish?  Hence why I asked the original
question.

And last thing before somebody kills us for discussing typical user
> questions in developer mailing list under a misleading message subject:

The subject was not misleading  - it was a simple question, but it seems the
developers don't to/have time to approximate such things.  That is fine, but
please don't paint a picture that I mislead in the topic.  I agree this
thread has turned into a "user thread" by the road it took, so I will stop
replying to it.

if something writes to kern.log it cannot be Myth. Talk to your kernel
maintainer, device driver author, check if "modinfo drivermodule"
suggests something about logging etc. MythTV writes to log files you
specify, usually /var/log/mythtv/ but definitely not kern.log.

Yeah, I was thinking that Myth do something differently than kaffeine (use
of a given feature for instance) that would cause the kern issues.

Unless something else comes to light, I will install 0.22 and let you know
what my testing turns up.

Thanks for your time and sorry that this thread got off-topic a little.
Rob

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:

> Robert Shields píše v Po 01. 03. 2010 v 10:03 -0500:
> > The reasoning for waiting for 0.23: I did have 0.22 installed, but I
> > was having some issues only after I installed the second tuner card
> > (repetitive messages sent to the kern.log).
> >
> > Since I did the fresh install of Ubuntu, the drivers/firmware for the
> > HVR-2250.  I have been using kaffeine and have not gotten any errors.
> >
> > I thought it would make more sense to wait for 0.23 and see if the
> > errors returned after I installed Myth.  I don't want to install 0.22
> > and then 0.23 - it makes more sense to me to have as clean of a test
> > situation as possible (this box's only purpose is Myth).
> >
> > If the errors are only present when Myth is installed, then at least I
> > can begin to narrow down the cause and hopefully make an intelligent
> > bug ticket.
>
> BTW, this is a very wrong approach - to wait for a release to see if the
> error you had in previous version persists. That way you could wait
> forever.If you wanted to actually help then I'd suggest you to install
> the current trunk SVN and test it deeply. If the error persists then
> fill the ticket and you have at least a chance that 0.23 will be
> released with that problem fixed.
>
> And last thing before somebody kills us for discussing typical user
> questions in developer mailing list under a misleading message subject:
> if something writes to kern.log it cannot be Myth. Talk to your kernel
> maintainer, device driver author, check if "modinfo drivermodule"
> suggests something about logging etc. MythTV writes to log files you
> specify, usually /var/log/mythtv/ but definitely not kern.log.
>
> Petr

Rob Shields
Email: rwshields at gmail.com
CWRU Computer Science PhD Student