[mythtv] AC3 playback mangled until timestretch activated

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Mon Mar 1 20:22:56 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 01, 2010 at 02:52:07PM -0500, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 03/01/2010 02:47 PM, Matt W wrote:
>> Ok so I've been plugging along and recently, the original symptoms of
>> playback I was experiencing seem to have disappeared.  I no longer get
>> severe audio from playing back the same recordings I was using
>> previously.
>>
>> Could it be because I dumped the Debian packaged version of libmpeg2
>> and ffmpeg and went ahead and compiled my own?  I did this so I could
>> optimize the build of things like libmpeg2, ffmpeg, x264, etc, for the
>> best possible transcode performance.
>>

> Normally I'd tell you that it's impossible for those system libs to
> affect MythTV, but according to
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/7796#comment:7 , Debian (or some 3rd
> party packager for Debian) is forking MythTV and linking against
> external libs instead of the versions that are distributed with, tested
> with, compiled with appropriate options for, and known to work with
> MythTV.

In the case of debian it would be a 3rd party (debian-multimedia.org).

I for one an highly in favour of what is being done, and despise
when projects start demanding which versions of libraries to use, and
linking staticly.  It's pathetic.  If the libraries are that flacky
and unstable, they should be fixed (or not used), and if they are not,
then it should work with any version that is at least at a certain known
good enough revision.

We don't need the bloat of staticly linked applications, and shared
libraries mean only one version of a library needs fixing when a bug or
security problem is found, rather than having to recompile a bunch of
staticly linked applications.

--
Len Sorensen