[mythtv] Getting rid of all XML-based menu translations

Kenni Lund kenni at kelu.dk
Tue Mar 16 11:38:14 UTC 2010

Hello

After completing the Danish translation, I'm looking for new
contribution areas within MythTV. Since I've spend the last few months
on translating, I'll probably stay within the translation track for
now.

One thing I'm considering looking at, is getting rid of all the old
xml-based menu translations for all languages and moving the existing
translations into the relevant *.ts files. This is currently causing
confusion for new translators, as the translation in Linguist doesn't
work as long as a xml-based translation exists. If the translator
isn't into scripting and/or isn't familiar with handling patches, the
task of fixing the menu items quickly becomes overwhelming.

Since fixing this potentially could break menu translations of many
languages and most likely would conflict with unapplied translation
patches, I suppose the best time for inclusion of such a patch would
be right after 0.23 release, giving maximum time for trunk users to
identify potential bugs in time for 0.24. Would you accept a patch for
this right after release of 0.23? If yes, would you prefer one huge
patch for including all languages or one per language?

In order to make the review process easier for me and yourself, would
it be possible for you to do a lupdate against all *.ts files when
you're generating *.qm files for 0.23? That way the XML-cleanup patch
will be clean and easier to review, instead of the update for each
*.ts file also includes 400+ new strings, which were added since
lupdate was run the last time.

Best Regards
Kenni Lund