[mythtv] Statistics Gathering Feature

Jonathan Martens jonathan at snetram.nl
Wed Mar 24 16:55:25 UTC 2010

On 24-3-2010 0:10, Miroslav Suchý wrote:
> I would prefer opt in as some users are quite sensitive about sending
> any information out.

I agree with that, as I guess most of us do.

> a) capture card - option for opt-in can be in "Capture card setup" in
> mythtv-setup
>
> b) graphic card - option for opt-in has to be on frontend, I would suggest:
> Setup -> Tv settings -> Playback -> 3rd page (profiles)
> and beside information about device itself, used kernel module for this
> device send profiles too.

I am against scattering it all over the setup, I think if you have more
options it deserves its own section/page/set of pages.

I do not think we need to gather to much data to start with and for one
thing not have a very complex opt-in scheme. I think either in or out
would do.

We however need to address and make public a policy on what is gathered
from the system and what we do with the data. Furthermore we should keep
it anonymous, perhaps in the way smolt [1] does. Smolt generates a
unique system ID and uses that as identifier when submitting data like
processor, architecture etc.

Jonathan

[1] <http://fedorahosted.org/smolt/wiki>