[mythtv] Q: mythweather: character encoding

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 10:46:59 UTC 2010

I've been trying to create a mythweather grabber which covers parts of
Europe where I live. Doing so, i sometimes get descriptions of places in
non-ascii character sets when I do a search. So, I need to deliver
search results with 8-bit data to myth through the interface between the
mythweather grabber and the main program.

I'm on 022-fixes.

Through trial and error I have made it work using latin-1 encoded data
sent from grabber to myth. Although it works, it seems strange: as I
understand it both the platform (Fedora 12) and myth uses utf8(?) And
all people does not use latin-1, for sure.

My question is how to handle this. Is there a way to find out which
character encoding myth actually expects, perhaps some setting? Or is
this just plain wrong, should myth be patched to handle the platform,
usually utf8 encoding when interpreting the data from the grabber? Or am
I just missing something simple?

Thx in advance...

Cheers!

--alec