[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r24384 by jyavenard

Colin Guthrie mythtv at colin.guthr.ie
Tue May 4 11:14:29 UTC 2010

'Twas brillig, and Jean-Yves Avenard at 04/05/10 12:03 did gyre and gimble:
> Hi
>
> On 4 May 2010 20:36, Colin Guthrie <mythtv at colin.guthr.ie> wrote:
>> Awesome. Remember to ask me on IRC or via direct email if you have any
>> pulse specific needs. Although I contribute a lot to PA I'm not actually
>> that familiar with the client side audio programming (I deal mostly with
>> management and internal modules), but I'm sure I can be of some
>> assitance somewhere.
>
> the audiooutputpulse code was mostly rewritten...
> This removed all the issues like AV-Sync or buffer underrun. Those
> issues existed due to the incorrect use of the pulseaudio API.
>
> FooBar is working on that one.. The code is finished now.
> Waiting to complete cleaning the changeset and will commit shortly.
>
> He has spent a great deal of effort (mostly troubles) getting around
> restrictions imposed by pulse. In particular, once pulse open the alsa
> device, you can't change the sampling rate. And when pulse is given
> the job to resample, all weird things start to occur.
> So in the end, we do all the resampling in mythtv prior to feeding the
> data to pulse.

That's a shame, but there are very real and practical reasons for not
changing the sample rate on the fly (people pop up about every six
months and ask us why!)

I'd be very interested in the problems that occur when PA does the
resampling as the best route forward is to make that work as it would
save doing similar workarounds in all apps.

Feel free to give FooBar my email address or tell hime to hassle me on
IRC (coling) so that he can discuss the problems and hopefully work out
a solution.

But awesome work all round - KUTGW both of you :D

Col

--

Colin Guthrie
myth(at)colin.guthr.ie