[mythtv] Help testing #6719

John P Poet jppoet at gmail.com
Sat May 8 17:28:25 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 10:34 AM, Mark Goldberg <marklgoldberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> John P Poet said:
>>Are you an emacs user? If so, I would recommend starting out with two
>>source trees -- one with 6719 applied and one without. Then bring up
>>emacs, and use its (Tools->Compare (Ediff)->Two Files) function to
>>analyse the difference between a patched and unpatched version of a
>>file. Press the '|' (vertical bar) in the ediff subwindow to switch
>>to side-by-side view, and maximize the editor window. With the ediff
>>subwindow in focus, you can press 'n' to go to the next "difference",
>>and 'p' to go the previous difference. This makes it much easier to
>>see the changes than trying to decipher the patch itself.
>
> I used to be a big emacs user maybe 15 years ago, not so much
> recently. I like Kompare to look at file differences. I'm thinking that
> the issue is in channelbase.cpp and that  IsInputAvailable() returns
> false to cause the error message, but I haven't gotten much farther.

I still have not looked at the code again, but I am guessing it is a
mutex problem.  To support the new thread, the mutexes needed tweaked,
and I bet one of them is preventing the second "record" from working.

>>It is nice to have someone else interested in improving the HD-PVR
>>functionality.
>
> I think there are a growing number of people interested. The cable
> companies are locking down the clear QAM channels and many
> have to switch to some type of set top box. I'm just trying to get
> the HDPVR to work as reliably as the ATSC tuners, and keep
> up the WAF.

I dumped Comcast three years ago, the day after they enabled 5C
protection on all the firewire channels.

> Unfortunately there are several issues. I have Dish and there are
> sound sync issues that I'm trying to get a handle on. Sometimes it
> is fine, sometimes the sound sync drifts off by several seconds by
> the end of an hour show. That seems to be unrelated to this patch.
> They "fixed" the windows driver but I'm unsure if the latest firmware
> will help the linux driver or if something else is needed. Switching
> the Dish STB to PCM out seems to help.

You are not the first person to complain about bad interactions with
Dish in that way.  Sorry, but it makes me glad I choose Directv ;)

John
--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?