[mythtv] Understanding the myth source code

Lennart Sorensen lsorense at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Tue May 25 21:15:03 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 05:04:39PM -0400, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> As a consequence to MythTV's networked behavior, it will add somewhere
> between 1-2 seconds of latency from when it starts recording, to when
> the frontend gets the video.  Analog tuners may take up to a second
> before they lock a channel.  MPEG encoder cards may take an additional
> second before they start sending data to the computer.  Digital tuners
> may take several seconds to tune a multiplex, additional time to find
> the proper stream, and still more to wait for a keyframe.  Some set top
> boxes have been known to take 5-10 seconds before they start sending
> anything.  It all boils down to DVRs in general (not just MythTV) being
> less than ideal for channel surfing.

Speaking of set top boxes and the time they take, does anyone know what
to change in mythtv to make it wait 5 to 10 seconds before trying to
read mpeg data from a firewire link?  It sometimes tries to read too
early and ends up reading mpeg data from the previous channel while the
box is still changing channels, and when the box does change channels
the change in the stream crashes/hangs mythtv in some cases.  It is
quite annoying.  I just haven't found which piece of code to change yet.

--
Len Sorensen