[mythtv] 4 digit channel support

Chris Weiland hobbiticus at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 14:18:33 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 7:31 PM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-11-16 at 17:48 -0500, Chris Weiland wrote:
>> Fair enough.  I don't think that a 100% reliable detection method is
>> possible here, but that should be close enough.  But back to the real
>> issue...
>>
>> Is there anyone knowledgeable and willing to help me with this change
>> (specifically with the digit count detection)?  Or is there somewhere
>> in the Myth code where I can see a similar example?  I'm experienced
>> enough to make the changes, but I would much prefer to have some help
>> from someone that is familiar with the existing codebase so that I
>> don't step on the existing functionality/style.
>
> Sure, send me what you have so far. I'll give direction on the rest.
> I don't have a firewire setup, but I did some work on it in the past
> so I'm familiar with the code.
>
> -- Daniel

Just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten about this.  I'm
still in the process of reinstalling my MythTV setup after a botched
attempt to upgrade to 0.24 over the weekend (botched mostly due to
trying to upgrade to debian squeeze to get QT >= 4.5, not because of
MythTV).  I hope to have everything back up and running properly
tonight, and then I can properly test switching between 3 and 4
digits.

Also, I was looking it over again yesterday and there is a small
problem.  There are two different methods of changing channels.  One
sends one keypress at a time, the other sends the entire channel at
once.  My cable box uses the one keypress at a time method and it's
trivial to send an additional keypress.  However, I don't think that I
can test the other method.  I think that I would need a Scientific
Atlanta box for that.  The part that has me worried is where it does
something like this:
cmd.push(channel << 8 & 0x0F);
cmd.push(channel & 0xFF);
In theory, that allows for 4096 channels, but I'm not sure why it's
limited to 4096 (why mask off the most significant 4 bits?).  Any
ideas on why this is?  Is there even any modification needed?  Just
for reference, my channels don't go passed 2000.