[mythtv] BrowserBased setup

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Wed Nov 24 11:03:25 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 24 Nov 2010 10:36:31 Per Lundberg wrote:
> >> 2) Regarding the "it doesn't work on Linux/BSD" - yes, this is indeed
> >
> > Which is a very good reason, as forcing users/devs to use two operating
> > systems, just because, is just making for a higher barrier on entry for
> > everyone without benefits.
>
> Yes, but I'm just question how many people would actually be affected by
> this...

Most of the existing developers for a start. The existence of all linux or all
OSX households is greater than you seem to think.

I've run nothing but linux for 6 years but that's maybe no great surprise.
However my parents and several of my non-technical friends are also running
nothing but linux these days because the days when you needed to be a geek to
use linux are long gone. Linux on the desktop is a phenomenon but it's also
becoming the defacto operating system of phones, tablets and netbooks too -
HTML+JS allows setup to be performed on your Android phone or ipad, two
platforms where Silverlight won't ever appear, even flash is banned from the
iphone/ipad.

Silverlight is a dead end, it might be popular among Windows developers who
love the lock-in of Microsoft C# and Microsoft Visual Studio but there is a
far wider world out there of rapidly expanding non-Microsoft platforms.
--
Stuart Morgan
MythTV