[mythtv] Cross-compiling on Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.4 (tiger)

Nigel Pearson nigel at ind.tansu.com.au
Wed Oct 20 05:40:52 UTC 2010

> Future versions of Qt may be Cocoa only, but for now,
> osx-packager doesn't ask for it, and the resultant Qt
> should be Carbon+Cocoa.
>
> What you're saying here seems to only elaborate on what I stated, not refute what I said in any way.  Bottom line:  Qt requires Carbon for my target environment (10.4).

True. What I was trying to say is - letting the script DL+build
Qt is safe. Possibly safer than downloading a prebuilt one
(which will probably not have the required MySQL plugins built in).

Note that I'm not sure if the Qt libraries are 10.4 safe.
I do remember seeing -macosx_version_min in some Qt makefiles,
but can't remember which Qt version or why.

> Running a 10.6.x built app on 10.4 (the AppleTV specifically) will fail -- I've tried it.

As have I, now.

What was interesting was that the error was in one of libmyth*.dylib
instead of the binary I loaded (mythfrontend) - which told me the
main() wrapper is compatible, but not the library load table :-(

> this assumes that one could even build 23.fixes on 10.4 -- an untested assumption.

I also tested that last night. The FFmpeg Makefiles
are not currently compatible with the make in 10.4:

/usr/bin/make -C external/FFmpeg
common.mak:28: *** unterminated call to function `foreach': missing `)'.  Stop.
make: *** [external/FFmpeg] Error 2

which reminds me, time to update the WiKi:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Myth_on_Mac_-_Build_status

--
Nigel Pearson, nigel at ind.tansu.com.au|"I don't believe
Telstra Net. Eng., Sydney, Australia | in a lot of things,