[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r25892 by robertm

buzz davidbuzz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 01:21:45 UTC 2010

I recommend partially reverting or modifying this commit for the following
reasons:

* the original URL/s  are the primary and definitive location of the files ,
so should be kept in the code and still available.   I'd suggest at the very
least putting them in a comment or something.

* When the specific version of a dependency that we use is removed from it's
URL, it's because it's been replaced with a newer/better version, so if the
script continues to use to use an older "cached" version it makes it harder
to correct the script ( smaller patches are easier).

* It is harder ( impossible) to push any faults found with the dependancies
back upstream to the author/s if we are using an old version.

My suggested solution is this:

* always check the original URL, using a http HEAD request, and if it's not
available any more at that URL, throw a meaningful message describing the
fact that you should see if a newer version is available.  ( see
http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html section 9.4 )

* after doing the above, if the file is still available AND it's at the
google code repository, download it from the google repo ( since it's
aparently faster).
* if the file is NOT in the google repo, but still at the primary URL,
download from the primary URL.  Optionally, if we wanted to be tricky, we
could auto-upload it direct to the google repo at this time, if we wanted
to.

Buzz.