[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r26111 - in trunk/mythtv by mdean

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Fri Sep 10 15:21:42 UTC 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 09/04/2010 05:41 AM, mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>>
>> Refactor the user interface of the recording cut list editor to take
>> advantage of the new cleaner design of the editor provided by Mark's
>> libmythui-osd code, which ensures users can't create invalid cut lists with
>> discontinuities.  Refs #7916.  Fixes #8564.  Fixes #8832.
>
> Other ideas appreciated, too.

I've been playing around with the new editor for a while now.  I have
found a couple of things that are hard to do, because the editor is
based on the notion of "cut areas" and doesn't have a symmetric notion
of "preserve areas".

Example 1.  Load the commskiplist, then find that a small preserve
area is actually part of the commercial break and you'd like to merge
it with the surrounding cut areas.  I.e., turn a "red,green,red"
section into solid "red".  This would be easy if the DELETE key
binding / menu item worked symmetrically for preserve areas.  (After
writing this, I figured out that I could do this easily enough by
moving to the beginning of the first cut area, deleting the cut area,
and finally "move next cut start here".)

Example 2.  Load the commskiplist, then find that the commflagger has
determined a section of the program to be part of the surrounding
commercial breaks.  I.e., you want to break up a solid "red" section
into "red,green,red".  This happens especially often for the final
30-second bit of a sitcom, which the commflagger considers to be part
of the commercials.  I haven't found a way to break up the cut area
and insert a preserve area, without losing one end of the original cut
area.  It seems that if SELECT (or some menu item) would allow
temporary marks to be added within a cut area and not just within a
preserve area, this problem would be solved.  Another approach would
be a "Split Cut Here" operation that you do at one end of the new
preserve region, then move to the other end and move the appropriate
cut mark there.

Jim