[mythtv] Video decoding in mythfrontend

James Courtier-Dutton james.dutton at gmail.com
Wed Sep 15 16:53:49 UTC 2010

Hi,

When watching live tv, some channels might not have a video stream, or
might contain a stream that is not in a format that the mythfrontend
can process.
Currently, mythfrontend returns to the menu with a message along the
lines of "Taking to long before first frame".
I would prefer it is it displayed this message, but did not exit back
to the first menu, but instead permitted the user to switch channels
until they get one that works.
In order to implement this functionality, I would like to understand
the flow of data through the mythfrontend code.
Can someone point me to the bits of source code that handle the
opening of the media stream, the demux and decode of the  media stream
and the eventual display of the video stream.
I would like to improve the error detection, so that the user might be
informed as to why it is not working on that channel.

Kind Regards

James