[mythtv] Cross-compiling on Mac OS X 10.6 to 10.4 (tiger)

Emlyn Bolton emlyn.bolton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 6 23:00:31 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm trying to get my Apple TV to run a mythfrontend, but all versions
compiled with more 10.5.6 onwards are binary incompatible with 10.4.

I've been trying to get both the fixes/0.23 and fixes/0.24 branches to
cross-compile to the 10.4 SDK but with all sorts of errors in QT, where it
seems it's not processing the arch flags properly or honouring the use of
gcc-4.0 instead of gcc-4.2 (default on 10.6).

All I really want to do is to have a binary that works on Tiger, as the OSX
builds for mythtv (
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mythtvformacosx/files/Older/) are for 10.6
only.  From trailing the mailing list archive, it seems there's a bunch of
errors and it's (understandably) full steam ahead for the head branch.

So, in a plea to all those out there with Macs, are any of you running tiger
or leopard, prior to 10.5.6 and can build either of the fixes/0.23 and
fixes/0.24 natively, it would be great to have those images up on the the
sourceforge site!

If there's interest for cross-compiling for 10.4, I'm very much eager to
help in this regard but I'd probably want to to that for head.  i've been
trying with 0.23-fixes for the most part and have got seemingly quite close
building manually, but there are some linkage problems that I've not got to
and when I compare with the head revision, many parts of that code have
either been moved or cleaned up.

Can anybody help me out?

Thanks,

Emlyn