[mythtv] Backend crash when tuning to an invalid channel with HD-PVR

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Wed Feb 23 13:31:39 UTC 2011

On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 22:29 -0800, Ian Forde wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-22 at 08:01 -0500, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > The part about where it crashed would have been printed before you
> > got the prompt. From the backtrace it looks like it hit an assert
> > in nVidia's OpenGL library, which doesn't make any sense for the
> > backend. OpenGL is a graphics library which shouldn't be used in
> > by the backend.
> >
> > A full debug build rather than a profile build would probably be
> > more informative. The part where the assert happened didn't have
> > a full backtrace back to a MythTV piece of code; hopefully a full
> > debug build would provide that.
>
> Yes, but it was a debug build that I was running.  I'm wondering if
> there's something in my reproducing methodology that I'm missing.  I
> went by the wiki instructions.  Is there a better way to get the info
> you need?

Just cut-n-paste everything gdb prints out for the ticket instead of
just the backtrace. But if that was from the debug build I'm afraid
that alone may not really help. It appears the problem occurred in an
assert inside malloc called from nvidia's libGL. Perhaps it attempted
to allocate some ridiculous amount of memory? But we don't have access
to the nvidia libs... If you are up for it, temporarily removing the
nvidia libraries may produce a backtrace which shows us what is
going on.

-- Daniel