[mythtv] MythTV Licensing Question

Marc Feldman marc at openivo.com
Wed Jun 1 07:41:40 UTC 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 8:49 AM, Daniel Kristjansson
<danielk at cuymedia.net>wrote:

>  I recommend that you study MythTV but
> in the end write your own PVR software. This will also allow you
> to avoid some of the design mistakes we made that have been difficult
> to back out of. Many base libraries we use, like ffmpeg, are available
> under either an LGPL license or another license that allows integration
> with proprietary code.

 -- Daniel

I am attempting to put together an open-source project to serve as the
infrastructure for a large, networked, community.
I am considering using MythTV, but I am intrigued by your comments above.

What do you consider MythTV "design mistakes"?

 If you were designing PVR software today, where would you start?  Would you
still rely on C and C++, or would you build with higher level languages?

Please feel free to direct me to previous forum or blog posts, but I have
not been able to find much.

Thank you for your help, and for your excellent contributions to the MythTV
project.

Best regards,

Marc