[mythtv] Mythweb - Flash Streaming

Justin Johnson justin.johnson3 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 8 17:42:58 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 6, 2011 at 6:11 PM, Will Tatam <will at netmindz.net> wrote:
> The default list of options passed to ffmpeg are long over due for a
> refresh, the options I use are
>
> -ar 44100
>
> Why use 11025 by default, it sounds horrible. Users can put up with a
> grainy picture, but if the speech is muffled then the content is unwatchable

I agree with this, I use 44100 as well.

> -vcodec libx264
>
> x264 is way better than default codec, flash on the wii will  not
> support x264 but this could be detected though the user agent thereby
> removing the need to cripple the content for everyone just for the sake
> of one platform

I experimented with libx264, but if I recall correctly, my CPU wasn't
able to encode fast enough at a high enough resolution to make it
worthwhile.

> -aspect 16:9
>
> I can't speak for other countries, but in the UK the majority of content
> has been 16:9 for years, so if it's not possible to set the aspect ratio
> based on the source, please default to 16:9 rather than 6:4

Agree here as well.

> -threads 0
>
> Tells ffmpeg to automatically detect the  number of cores and start the
> optimum number of threads rather than defaulting to single thread when
> dual and quad core are commonplace

FLV encoding cannot be multi-threaded. There is no support for it in
ffmpeg (last time I checked) so this would only have an effect if the
vcoded were changed as above.

> --
> Will Tatam

Just thought I'd contribute to the discussion.