[mythtv] A need for advanced player settings

freedenizen freedenizen at gmail.com
Tue May 31 19:23:56 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 11:48 AM, E. Westbrook <mythtv-dev at westbrook.com> wrote:
<snip>
> If we fear that the entrepid newb will STILL adjust it, to her peril, it's
> easy enough to document a stern warning alongside with the setting's
> authoritative reference entry, where presumably she will have gone to find
> the value anyway.

In my heart I'd love to agree, I always want there to just be a simple
db table somewhere to do my tweaking, nicely documented, etc.
The problem is that well people share information.  Experience savvy
user A adjusts a setting by reading all the associated documentation.
Somewhat technical user B posts a problem to the mailing list, user A
shares their fix, maybe even with the link to the documentation and
user B implements it.
So far that isn't so bad, the problem is that users C, D, and E who
have no idea what they are doing just search google and find the
commands to run in the mailing list archive without reading the
documentation, 6 month later one of they runs into a different problem
which is actually caused by the setting they changed in the table when
they really had no idea what they are doing.  They come onto the
mailing list and everyone struggles to help them out, not realizing
that they actually adjusted something which caused the fault in the
first place.