[mythtv] Why are themes downloaded to /etc/mythtv?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 25 19:22:08 UTC 2011

First a short introduction. I've taken over maintaining MythTV in RPM
Fusion for Fedora from Jarod. I also maintain several other packages,
such as avidemux, openshot, imagination, and other small utilities and
libraries. I'm currently working on FreeCAD and its dependencies.

I'm working on moving away from running mythbackend as root by default
and have run into a few problems, the latest of which is this:

Why are the themes downloaded into /etc/mythtv? I looked through the
configure options and didn't see any way to override this. I would
think /var/cache/mythtv would be more appropriate as I don't think the
backend writing to /etc for such things is a good idea and bloats /etc
which should really just be for configuration.

Thanks,
Richard