[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 0e84bfed2 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Sep 18 04:36:32 UTC 2011

On 09/17/2011 09:20 PM, E. Westbrook wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 16:32, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> Well, somebody has been busy with real life and knew he wouldn't have
>> time to have this argument--again.  And, in truth, all the complaining
>> on the list about a topic that's been discussed to death has really
>> sapped any motivation I would have had to work on MythTV in the short
>> term, anyway.
> I for one definitely didn't mean to start any argument.  Not being aware of
> the history, I just wanted to know if it was intentional and to express my
> preference.
>> We need consistency, and since there's currently no other plan that will
>> give us consistency across the entire UI and across all themes (regardless
>> of layout), we're starting, here, with a consistent lack of any kind of
>> support for it.
> Thanks for bringing me (and anyone else who missed the history) up to
> speed.  I appreciate it a lot.
>
> I'd have even appreciated hearing something like "yeah, sorry about that,
> but it has to be this way for now, see the archives for ad nauseum arguments
> and details."  So, to get your fuller explanation about it here is
> delightful.  Thanks.

Yeah, and I apologize for being short in my long reply.  I realize no
one was trying to be difficult and everyone just wants MythTV to be as
good as it can be.  Unfortunately, though, sometimes it feels like I
spend more time/effort fighting to make progress than fighting code.
But, making MythTV as good as it can be takes time and multiple changes,
so keep watching as we keep working, and--I hope--we'll keep making
progress toward that goal.

If nothing else, the broken, partial implementation in there was
probably just good enough to prevent anyone who really wants the
functionality from working on doing it right and making it work in all
the dialog boxes or all the menus, regardless of theme layout.  So,
completely removing it may actually spur someone to do it right--in
which case it's likely to actually be more functional than before.
Maybe we'll even get back the LEFT/RIGHT on a recording in Watch
Recordings to bring up the action popup--the capability everyone yelled
about losing in 0.22.

Mike