[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 0e84bfed2 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Markus Schulz msc at antzsystem.de
Mon Sep 19 18:45:04 UTC 2011

 On Mon, 19 Sep 2011 18:45:16 +0100, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 9/19/11, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>> On 09/18/2011 05:24 AM, Paul Harrison wrote:
 [..]
>> The problem with the OSD menu is that it's not an OSD menu.  It's a
>> MythDialogBox.  The reason it worked the way it did was because
>> MythDialogBox worked the way it did.  It now works exactly like the
>> dialog boxes work in Watch Recordings.  For example, in Watch
>> Recordings, select a recording and hit MENU to bring up the menu.
>> Then
>> select Storage Options or Recording Options or Job Options to get a
>> sub
>> menu, then hit ESCAPE or BACK and the entire menu/sub-menu is
>> dismissed.  And, as a matter of fact, even in 0.24-fixes in those
>> sub-menus, when you hit LEFT (with arrow-key acceleration), it
>> dismisses
>> the sub-menu and the menu.
>>

> This is what I'm more concerned about. Using right to move to a sub
> menu and left to return to a parent menu just seems natural to me.

 for a left-to-right organized menu...
 but imagine a menu organized from right-to-left.
 then the intuitive way to open a child-menu was pressing cursor-left
 instead of cursor-right.

 therefore you have four operation modes depending on menu-orientation:

 - bottom-up:  CUR_UP=SELECT  CUR_DOWN=BACK
 - top-down:   CUR_UP=BACK    CUR_DOWN=SELECT
 - left-rigth: CUR_RIGHT=SELECT CUR_LEFT=BACK
 - right-left: CUR_RIGHT=BACK   CUR_LEFT=SELECT

 looks like an option the theme developer should manage (he knows the
 orientation of each menu) or perhaps there is a safe calculation
 possible?

 but i think this feature should be (re)added. it's really a pain to
 move your thumb away from the cursor cross on your remote to reach the
 select/back buttons...

 regards,
 msc