[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 0e84bfed2 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Sep 20 02:18:49 UTC 2011

On 09/19/2011 01:45 PM, Paul Harrison wrote:
> On 9/19/11, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> here's a little sampling of the problems with the
>> partial implementation we had:
> I think you are confusing the situation somewhat here. I'm really not
> bothered about any of these they can stay as they are for all I care.
> I agree that using right to mean select and left to mean exit is
> confusing and have never said otherwise.

OK, then we are agreed on that one.  :)

>> The problem with the OSD menu is that it's not an OSD menu.  It's a
>> MythDialogBox.  The reason it worked the way it did was because
>> MythDialogBox worked the way it did.  It now works exactly like the
>> dialog boxes work in Watch Recordings.  For example, in Watch
>> Recordings, select a recording and hit MENU to bring up the menu.  Then
>> select Storage Options or Recording Options or Job Options to get a sub
>> menu, then hit ESCAPE or BACK and the entire menu/sub-menu is
>> dismissed.  And, as a matter of fact, even in 0.24-fixes in those
>> sub-menus, when you hit LEFT (with arrow-key acceleration), it dismisses
>> the sub-menu and the menu.
> This is what I'm more concerned about. Using right to move to a sub
> menu and left to return to a parent menu just seems natural to me.

Well, if the OSD menu works that way, I'd like to all "menu"
MythDialogBoxes to be modified to work that way so it's consistent (i.e.
those submenus in Watch Recordings, etc., in the UI), which probably
also means fixing all the items people put into those (such as
GroupSelector and checkboxes and such); otherwise, we'd be back to the
same confusing inconsistency within dialog boxes that saw me always
hitting 2x the buttons when some item in some dialog's list didn't
support the left/right keys.

Anyway, I'd like it to be consistent enough that I don't get confused.
Ideally, it would be consistent enough that a newbie wouldn't get confused.

Mike