[mythtv] RFE: Allowing backend to trigger S3 sleep while frontend is connected and idle

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Sep 27 13:34:37 UTC 2011

On 9/27/11 4:27 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 08:16:09 Petr Stehlik wrote:
>
>> Stuart Morgan píše v Po 26. 09. 2011 v 19:53 +0100:
>>
>>> Right now I'm only working on allowing the backend to shutdown (or sleep
>>> if so configured) if frontends are idle, thus removing the need to use
>>> workarounds such as mythwelcome.
>>>
>> Stuart, I am not sure how you define a frontend being idle - if based on
>> frontend-backend (lack of) communication or rather on detecting user
>> (in)activity on the frontend - but if it was the latter, could the idle
>> frontends quit as well? Because that is the missing feature that
>> MythWelcome and screensaver hacks are trying to work around.
>>
> The latter. I could add an option to quit or shutdown the frontend when idle,
> but it's not something I'd personally use. May I ask what the purpose would be
> of quitting the frontend?

I would also not have any use for the option to quit the frontend, but I
would love having the ability to automatically suspend the machine after
X minutes of inactivity.

I guess the ability to launch an arbitrary command would be best for me.
My family will often exit the room for extended periods of time, leaving
the computer and power-hungry plasma screen on. If it was an arbitrary
command, I could use a blaster to tell the TV to shut off and then
suspend the PC.