[mythtv] [0.25] SIGSEGV when EIT updating DB and channel change (sometimes empty file)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 3 03:24:13 UTC 2012

On 04/02/2012 04:58 PM, Angela Schmid wrote:
> Hello
> I have a reproducible problem and tried several 0.25-pre versions since the beginning of march. On a channel change for a recording
> and a running (or maybe just ending) EIT update to the DB I get a SIGSEGV, almost every second day. Twice I saw empty files created
> prior the crash of mythbackend.
> Since I have these errors, I only activated one card, and allowing only one recording per card.
> This crash happened after midnight, so maybe a new day of EIT data was received resulting in the crash.
>
> http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/gdb.txt.zip 9Kb
> http://minerva11.dyndns.org/html/public/mythbackend.log.zip 81Kb
>
> Thanks for having a look at the debug logs. Please inform me for other settings/tests.
> Cheers Angela
>
> Using the following command:
>
> cat<<  "EOF" | tee ${HOME}/gdbcommands
> handle SIGPIPE nostop noprint
> handle SIG33 nostop noprint
> set logging on
> set pagination off
> set breakpoint pending on
> break qFatal
> set args --syslog local7 --user mythtv -v eit,general --loglevel debug run thread apply all bt full set logging off EOF .
> /etc/default/locale gdb /usr/bin/mythbackend -x ${HOME}/gdbcommands
>

> ./configure \
>    --disable-ccache \
> 	--compile-type=debug \
> 	--prefix=/usr \
> 	--extra-cflags=-I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.3.0-rc2-angela2+/include \
> 	--extra-cxxflags=-I/usr/src/linux-headers-3.3.0-rc2-angela2+/include \
> 	--disable-altivec \
> 	--disable-audio-oss \
> 	--disable-audio-jack \
> 	--disable-audio-pulseoutput \
> 	--enable-libfftw3 \
> 	--disable-joystick-menu \
> 	--disable-firewire \
> 	--disable-hdhomerun \
> 	--disable-ceton \
> 	--disable-ivtv \
> 	--disable-hdpvr \
> 	--enable-dvb \
> 	--dvb-path=$HOME/dev/ddbridge/media_build_experimental/linux/include \
> 	--disable-vdpau \
> 	--enable-vaapi \
> 	--disable-quartz-video \
> 	--enable-libmp3lame \
>    --enable-libfaac \
>    --enable-nonfree \
>    --enable-libx264 \
>    --enable-libvpx \
>    --enable-libxvid \
> 	--disable-altivec \

Haven't looked at the backtrace/log, yet, but your configure line is way
too complex...

Generally, the proper configure line is:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --enable-proc-opt

and, possibly, with a --compile-type=profile (where you can change the
prefix value, and maybe the compile type--though profile is a good
choice for nearly everyone).  If you want HLS and such, you can use
--enable-libfaac --enable-libx264 --enable-libxvid (and, maybe?,
--enable-nonfree, but not if you're redistributing your build).

Your configure line, above, will create a broken MythTV
build--specifically, you should not be using "--disable-audio-oss
--disable-audio-jack --disable-audio-pulseoutput" (OSS should /never/ be
disabled on GNU/Linux systems and is required for proper operation and
--disable-audio-pulseoutput doesn't do what you think it does and JACK
will be disabled automatically if you don't have JACK development
headers installed, and won't hurt anything--nor make MythTV less
efficient or "too big" or anything--if you do leave it enabled).
Similar arguments exist for nearly all of your
--disable-<capture_device> stuff.

That said, I don't know that the issue is related to your configure
line, but using a much simpler configure line would let MythTV's
configure just do the right thing for you (and may make it easier to
help diagnose issues--since we won't have to worry that it's due to
breakage caused by trying to outsmart the configure script).  (I'm
guessing you're just specifying /way/ too many USE flags with a Gentoo
build?)

Mike