[mythtv] Mac OS X build error "ld: -L <blank>"

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Apr 7 21:24:52 UTC 2012

At 12:48 AM +1000 4/8/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>On 8 April 2012 00:04, Craig Treleaven <ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>>  I really don't follow how the -macx flag gets there in the working cases and
>>  why it is not there in my case.  Suggestions, pointers?
>
>you shouldn't use the buildbot as a comparison point. Its aim is only
>to test that myth compiles okay on a mac. Nothing more. It doesn't
>attempt to build an application bundle etc..
>
>-macx is only there to tell qmake what type of make to generate,
>either a makefile, or an xcode project.
>
>You don't need to specify -macx is you've changed the default makespecs
>
>go into the mkspecs file, and see what default is linked to.
>if it is to macx-g++
>then you don't need to specify -macx
>
>And FWIW, it would be much easier (and faster) to try to compile using
>the new buildscript. Not having to build Qt will save you *a lot* of
>time

Thanks J-Y.  What I'm trying to do is make a better OSX _backend_.
The existing .app bundles are great for the frontend but less than
wonderful for the backend.  Having to specify paths that 'reach into'
the .app bundle; perl/python bindings issues, other weirdness.

Also, MacPorts has the ability to install startup items, create a
mythtv user, configure logging, etc that would make the Mac backend
install process way less painful.  MacPorts also serves pre-compiled
binaries whenever possible.  (The sucky part is that Qt would have to
be compiled--the config we need isn't the default build at MacPorts.)

I'm close to getting a basic build done.  I just don't know enough
about ./configure, make, qmake and Qt configs to figure out where the
blank -L's are coming from.  I can't even easily do a search and
replace to get rid of them since qmake is run early during the build
phase for the libs and whatnot and generates them anew.

Craig