[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Fri Apr 13 01:24:54 UTC 2012

On 11 April 2012 23:44, Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> wrote:

> NVS 3100M -- http://www.nvidia.com/object/nvs_techspecs.html
>
> It's a lower end laptop chip but it was in a new laptop I bought
> just last year. It was close enough that maybe some optimization
> might make it work, but it wasn't up to the job as is.

There is no way that video chip, with any CPU currently available
wouldn't handle OpenGL just fine.

The issue is more likely with your setup and probably not using the
correct drivers than with the hardware.

Even a low-end atom with the nvs 3100M will do just fine (and there
are plenty of users using such low-end machine as frontend).

Having said that. I don't see why keeping XVideo is incompatible with
improving OpenGL rendering/playback. For some reasons, few have
started to repeat that nonsense when it has no technical basis.
That XVideo doesn't allow some features, doesn't mean it can't be done
with OpenGL and only available when using OpenGL.