[mythtv] MythTV 0.26, XVideo, and OpenGL

Stuart Morgan stuart at tase.co.uk
Thu Apr 19 19:47:41 UTC 2012

On Thursday 19 Apr 2012 21:02:53 dargllun wrote:
> On the bright side, the OSS drivers have very much improved over the
> last years, and substantially so by AMD devs. It would be good if the
> OSS drivers would be supported by mythtv, cause they'll stay around.

We support vendor neutral APIs*  e.g. OpenGL. It's really up to the drivers to
support OpenGL and if they do that then it should just work with MythTV. We're
not talking about a proprietary protocol, or even something new since OpenGL
has been around for 20 years. We're not expecting high demand 3D processing at
100 fps with AA, dynamic lighting effects and the rest, just very basic 2D
performance. It's shocking really that we were able to play Quake 2 et al 15
years ago on hardware less powerful than you'd find in many mobile devices,
yet even today you can't get decent 2D performance from enormously more
powerful hardware on linux.

Right now it seems only the proprietary Nvidia drivers work well enough. The
drivers for Intel and ATi hardware display underwhelming performance and
stability.

* with the exception of vdpau for which there is no working ATI equivalent
--
Stuart Morgan