[mythtv] Expiry problem

Ian Dall ian at beware.dropbear.id.au
Sun Apr 22 15:14:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-04-18 at 21:32 -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 04/17/2012 07:10 PM, Ian Dall wrote:
> > I have been running a recent 0.25 pre-release(*) and have run into
> > problems with expiry. What happens is that the disk fills up, the expiry
> > thread runs, deletes the entry from the database, but does not delete
> > the actual files containing the recording. Since the disk is still full,
> > it goes ahead and deletes the next show and in a short space of time
> > there is a full disk, and all programs which allow auto expire have been
> > deleted from the DB. I recover the DB from backup and manually delete
> > files which have been recorded since the backup, but obviously it is
> > annoying to have to do this.
> >
> > Possibly relevant is that a) I have a separate master and slave backend
> > and b) am using NFS for the storage. The logs don't show anything
> > interesting. Mythtv *thinks* it is doing the right thing. There are
> > messages about expiring recordings, but nothing to do with failing to
> > delete a file.
> >
> > I'd appreciate any clues about what could cause this or how to debug it.
> >

> Are the expired shows in the Deleted recording group?  Watch Recordings,
> MENU|Change Group Filter, then select "Deleted" and see if any that the
> backend logs say were expired are there.

Ah! It took a while, but I think I have caught the misbehaviour in the
act. I had a recording from an iptv "tuner". This should have been about
1 hour long, but the file was still open (as reported by lsof) and
growing 2 hours later, even though the show showed as finished in "Watch
Recordings". The entire file was watchable.

So, I deleted the recording through "Watch Recordings",Menu,Delete. It
then disappeared from the "Watch Recordings" list, but the file was
still on disk and still growing! Checking the "Deleted" group showed it
there. Restarting the master backend (which also has the iptv tuner on
it) at least stopped the file growing, but it was still there in the
Deleted group.

It did eventually get deleted, presumably when the delete thread was
run.

So it all makes sense except for the recording which never terminated
problem. If this happens it would explain my original symptoms. It would
also explain another strangeness. After my recovering from the db from
restore and cleaning up, I'd expect only about 10% free space (only one
day of shows), but was getting more like 50% free space. Presumably
there was one or a few bloated files taking up most of the space.

--
Ian Dall <ian at beware.dropbear.id.au>