[mythtv] mythpreviewgen creating excessive number of logs?

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 19:29:58 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Gavin Hurlbut <gjhurlbu at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Apr 24, 2012 at 11:51 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Is this intentional?
>>
>> Yes.  It is intentional, and it is very helpful when debugging.  If
>> you want to log to only one file, etc, and have to split them up to
>> report bugs, I would suggest using syslog logging.
>
> I just want to make sure I understand you. I'm not worried about have
> one file (mythbackend, mythpreviewgen, etc) in one file. I just
> thought it seemed a bit excessive to have generated 11 logs for
> mythpreviewgen in less than 24 hours.

For ease of debugging the individual programs, every run generates a
separate log file.  It saves a lot of energy digging through one huge
logfile to find how one run failed.  In master, I will be allowing for
override of the logfile names soon, but for now, this is how it is,
and yes, it was very intentional.

And if you only generated 11 in 24h, you must not have as active a
system as mine :)  Hehe.  I usually am generating more like 20
previews a day.