[mythtv] Firewire code and ticket #10277: Warning: No Input in xxx msec

Martin Purschke mlp00 at optonline.net
Sun Apr 29 23:26:05 UTC 2012

Peter,

thank you very much for working on this; I haven't found much time to
invest in anything with firewire lately (I'm the author of the
"sa_control" channel changer for one flavor of the SciAtlanta cable
boxes - now that I have a new box I may get back to it).

I was surprised at Daniel's statement that few people use firewire. I
record the majority of my channels through firewire, and I personally
know two more people who do, so while 3 may not be a big number, your
work is highly appreciated. And as long as there are providers which
keep most of the channels open and not 5C-protected, it's hard to beat
the quality of the all-digital recordings.

Which brings me to a slightly related issue. Every once in a while, a
new channel gets added which is protected, or a so-far open channel goes
dark. In this case, we can never get a lock, and the backend
continuously loops the "no input..." message but also never arrives at a
failure state. The messages continue past the nominal end of the
recording, and the backend seems stuck indefinitely (I have to release
it by manually ending the recording). If you can find a way to make the
backend give up gracefully after it has exhausted all the options you
mention and return to an idle state, that would be great. If you need
another guinea pig to test something, please drop me a mail.

Thank you very much,

`    Martin