[mythtv] Build environment for OpenGL ES 2.0 in Linux

Gus Wirth gwirth79 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 02:40:34 UTC 2012

I'm trying the get a mythfrontend built and running on an Intel Atom
D2500 board. The chip is a Cedarview with a PowerVR SGX545 graphics engine.

The graphics engine only supports a very limited set of OpenGL functions
but it does have full OpenGL ES 2.0 support. In addition, it has VA-API
support for video decoding.

Intel has recently released a driver for this chip:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21519

I have followed the instructions for the Fedora 16 install found here:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-033648.htm

as a PDF download. I choose Fedora because I am familiar with it and can
rebuild the packages rather easily. The instructions worked and I am
able use both the OpenGL ES 2.0 interface with glxgears and the VA-API
acceleration with mplayer.

I saw in the release notes for 0.25 that support for OpenGL ES 2.0 has
been added starting about 18 months ago and a check on the TRAC site
shows that a significant amount of work has been done. This started with
changeset 287de3d43.

What I would like to find out is what the build environment needs in
order to build MythTV to use OpenGL ES 2.0 instead of a full blown
OpenGL implementation.

I know that I will need to rebuild Qt with OpenGL ES 2.0 support, but
I'm not sure what extra steps that I need to take other than adding
"-opengl es2" to the build and providing the headers.

I'm not averse to switching environments, say to Ubuntu, and I've also
found a thread for Arch Linux here:

https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1145207

Gus

--