[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 5e13d41a8 by Michael T. Dean (sphery)

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Wed Feb 1 16:12:28 UTC 2012

Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:

> This is a bit off-topic, but important to anyone debugging screensaver
> issues.. Xorg has two forms of screen blanking in addition to whatever
> the screensavers provide, DPMS and "BlankTime". The latter is not a
> power saving mode, it just makes the screen black to avoid burn in.
> To disable both you need something like this:
>
> Section "ServerFlags"
>     Option "BlankTime" "0"
>     Option "StandbyTime" "0"
>     Option "SuspendTime" "0"
>     Option "OffTime" "0"
> EndSection
>
> The actual flags that need to be set depend on the Xorg version. Google
> for them if this doesn't work.

Moreover, you can turn off GNOME3's screen blanking via gsettings.  This
was the final piece of my screen blanking puzzle.  Now my frontend
doesn't blank the screen so I don't need a keyboard to wake it up.  Run
this command as the mythtv user:

  gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.screensaver idle-activation-enabled false

> -- Daniel

-derek