[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 7867d7efb by Stuart Morgan (stuartm)

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Thu Feb 2 01:37:14 UTC 2012

On 2/02/2012 9:20 AM, Stuart Morgan wrote:
> On Wednesday 01 Feb 2012 21:46:31 Paul Harrison wrote:
>>> Add a standby mode to mythfrontend to allow the backend to shutdown when
>>> the frontends haven't been used for 30 minutes. This does away with the
>>> need for mythwelcome, but doesn't yet replace mythwelcome's status
>>> screen for those who like that additional feature.
>> So how does this work in practice? If you don't press a key within 30
>> minutes the BE will begin the shutdown process. Won't that become very
>> annoying? You go to answer the phone and come back to find Myth has
>> decided to shutdown!
> It will be configurable, 30 minutes was chosen as a initial default to ensure
> it gets tested properly.
>
> However essentially yes, after a pre-defined period of inactivity it will allow
> the backend to shut down. That's what most people want if they've configured
> the backend to shutdown when it's not being used. They don't want to go around
> the house ensuring that all frontends have been exited first or to leave the
> house at 8 a.m. and return at 6p.m. to find that they forgot to shutdown the
> frontend so the backend was running all day. It's how almost all commercial
> STBs, tablets and other hardware operate.
Excellent concept, something that has been missing from Myth for a long
time, whilst most commercial equipment operate like you propose, Myth is
better than most, if not all commercial products.

IMHO, it would be better if it worked thus;

Frontend Only Machine:
         If Frontend idle for "Idle Time" then run "Frontend Idle
Script", that could either shutdown/hibernate/suspend the machine or run
some other task (cant think of what, but good if user could configure it
how they want, not just hard coded shutdown)

Combined FE/SBE Machine:
     Mark frontend as Idle, when BE idle, MBE can shutdown the SBE when
it is not required

Combined FE/MBE Machine:
     If local FE and all other FE are idle/shutdown, then the MBE can
shutdown/suspend/hibernate, possibly perofrm housekeeping functions like
DB Optimization/Schedule downloads before shutdown  (or not shutdown if
MBE is a 24x7 machine)

MythWelcome (I beleive) has a massive flaw, in that it works system
wide, it will not shutdown a SBE whilst the MBE is not idle, but without
MythWelcome MBE will shutdown SBE/FE when SBE is idle, even though FE is
running.   A setup like described above, will allow SBE/FE to shutdown
when not required if the FE is idle.

Regards
Michael Watson