[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv/master commit: 7867d7efb by Stuart Morgan (stuartm)

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Thu Feb 2 23:49:35 UTC 2012

On 12-02-01 08:37 PM, Michael Watson wrote:

> IMHO, it would be better if it worked thus;
>
> Frontend Only Machine:
>          If Frontend idle for "Idle Time" then run "Frontend Idle
> Script", that could either shutdown/hibernate/suspend the machine or run
> some other task (cant think of what, but good if user could configure it
> how they want, not just hard coded shutdown)

Yes!  Totally agree.  I've been wanting _real_ FE idleness handling (as
opposed to my hack which looks at GPU interrupts) for a year or two now.

By real, of course that's idleness as determined by MFE not playing
anything or being interacted with at a menu (although that gives me an
idea about how to monitor LIRC and factor that into my FE idleness hack
script).

And of course, configurable idle action, just as it is for the BE, but
it really ought to inform the BE that it's idle rather than the BE then
having to have some sort of FE inactivity timer to decide that it's
idle.  Although the BE should also have such an inactivity timer to
account for FEs that just go AWOL.

b.