[mythtv] Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Tue Feb 7 23:56:44 UTC 2012

On 2/7/2012 11:56 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 7, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> wrote:
>> Daniel Kristjansson <danielk at cuymedia.net> writes:
>>
>>> The bus reset allows you to record from Motorola equipment after you
>>> have tuned to an encrypted channel or when the box just gets wedged.
>>> However the bus reset only works if there is one and only one STB
>>> connected to your firewire bus. Bus resets are done whenever someone
>> I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
>> and a bus reset would kill a working recording.
>>
>>> plugs a new firewire device onto the chain (or removes a device) in
>>> OSX, so equipment shouldn't really have a huge problem with resets.
> before purchasing a Ceton I had been running two boxes on one machine
> and had to disable the firewire reset. eventually I just bought a
> firewire card for our main frontend and moved one of the boxes to it
> so I could enable the firewire reset on both backends which made
> things work much better. while I did have both connected I had written
> a channel change script that attempted to use firewire_tester to try
> and get it to "work" before handing back to mythbackend for actual
> recording, this helped about 95% of the time when it was not working
> after initial channel change.
>
> the Ceton just works though, always, plus no cable box fees (~$35/mo)
> and two extra tuners... so we no longer have any cable boxen in the
> house.

How do those savings work? I have Comcast and they do not explicitly
charge for the first converter box. They give $2.50 per month credit for
"customer owned equipment".

So it seems to me if I went for Ceton or HD Home Run I would save only
$2.50 per month and lose my access to "on demand". I use the firewire
for encrypted channels and DVB tuners for non-encrypted. Since most
encrypted channels play most shows more than once, this has proved adequate.

With the patch I have developed the firewire seems to be 100% reliable.

Does the Ceton allow all channels to record, or just the ones that cable
company marks "record all"?