[mythtv] Fix for Firewire Recording Endless Errors Warning: No Input in xxx msec

Patrick Ouellette pat at flying-gecko.net
Wed Feb 8 13:54:56 UTC 2012

On Tue, Feb 07, 2012 at 06:56:44PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 2/7/2012 11:56 AM, Steven Adeff wrote:

> >> I think I was being bit by this latter issue; I had two boxes connected
> >> and a bus reset would kill a working recording.

> > before purchasing a Ceton I had been running two boxes on one machine
> > and had to disable the firewire reset. eventually I just bought a
> > firewire card for our main frontend and moved one of the boxes to it
> > so I could enable the firewire reset on both backends which made
> > things work much better. while I did have both connected I had written
> > a channel change script that attempted to use firewire_tester to try
> > and get it to "work" before handing back to mythbackend for actual
> > recording, this helped about 95% of the time when it was not working
> > after initial channel change.
> >
> > the Ceton just works though, always, plus no cable box fees (~$35/mo)
> > and two extra tuners... so we no longer have any cable boxen in the
> > house.
> >

> How do those savings work? I have Comcast and they do not explicitly
> charge for the first converter box. They give $2.50 per month credit for
> "customer owned equipment".

You save by eliminating the extra boxes.

I can't speak to Comcast, but on FiOS I can reduce costs by almost
$600 per year on box rental fees.  I have 5 boxes, one is a HD-DVR,
one is HD and the rest are SD.

> So it seems to me if I went for Ceton or HD Home Run I would save only
> $2.50 per month and lose my access to "on demand". I use the firewire
> for encrypted channels and DVB tuners for non-encrypted. Since most
> encrypted channels play most shows more than once, this has proved adequate.

If you are a on demand user then you would either have to call on the
phone to order the program, or keep a cable box.  I have used on demand
maybe three times in 8 years, so this was not a concern for me. YMMV.

> With the patch I have developed the firewire seems to be 100% reliable.

Good for you.  Firewire is still temperamental from my FiOS HD boxes.
(Haven't tried the patch, the Ceton "just works" so I'm going to dump the
firewire all together)  FiOS doesn't allow my premium content to record on
firewire either.

> Does the Ceton allow all channels to record, or just the ones that cable
> company marks "record all"?

If the channels are flagged "copy freely" the Ceton will record in Myth.
(If they are marked something else, you could record in Windows with
the Win 7 media center)

On my FiOS feed, everything I pay a regular subscription for is available
on my Ceton card.  I have not tried pay per view or on demand.

Pat