[mythtv] GIT reverts accidentally committed

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 23:54:02 UTC 2012

On 22 February 2012 09:40, Nigel Pearson <nigel at ind.tansu.com.au> wrote:
>> did you use --force or not?
>

> Probably yes (on a git reset), but who can remember -
> that was a day ago in a very busy shell :-(

from what I can tell, you didn't use --force.

you haven't buggered anything, you committed 5 changes you didn't want.

This is not the end of the world.

You can simply apply apply a reverse diff of all those 5 changes and
that will be the end of it.

> I can revert HEAD^^, which would commit a revert of a revert,
> and I think get the tree back to health, bit it would be so
> much tidier if these five commits could be totally destroyed.

I disagree about totally removing the 5 commits has if it never
existed. It would bugger the repo for anyone who has updated their
copy.
And it really doesn't matter if your commits are in the history.

It wouldn't be the first time someone committed something only to
reverse it later.
> so we could start clean, and I could just do one commit instead.

as long as no --force are used, I'm okay with anything...