[mythtv] Compiling mythtv and running without installing.

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 00:10:30 UTC 2012

On 26 February 2012 02:49, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5. Try to run mythfrontend from the shell possibly without installing
> (since I do not want to mess with my production mythtv).
>
> I believe I can easily fix that by extending my LD_LIBRARY_PATH to
> include the other mythtv libraries..
>
> I am going to still post this however.

Here is what I do to compile and try mythtv on the same machine that
run my production server, so yes, like you I don't want to mess up my
production install.

I compile mythtv like so:

./configure --prefix=/home/jyavenard/build --compile-type=debug

I do make && make install as usual

To run it:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/jyavenard/build/lib
/home/jyavenard/build/bin/mythfrontend

JY