[mythtv] Format of new post-0.25 config.xml

Peter Bennett (cats22) cats22 at comcast.net
Sat Jun 2 21:14:59 UTC 2012

On 06/02/2012 04:29 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 6/2/2012 15:42, Peter Bennett (cats22) wrote:
>> The main uses of the database are -
>> channelscan, which fixes the QAM channel frequencies if Comcast changes
>> them overnight
>
> I've never actually used scte65scan, but I was under the impression it
> only returned the in-band table for the standard definition channels
> used by those little DTAs. Any of the non-broadcast channels would be
> inaccessible due to Privacy Mode, and you would want the HD versions
> of the local broadcast channels that would not be listed because the
> DTAs cannot handle them.

Actually, in my case most of the HD broadcast channels are listed in the
scte65scan, which seems superfluous since the DTAs cannot get them.
However it serves my purpose. There are also many non-HD channels that I
get unencrypted, for example the PBS stations have a couple of HD
channels and a bunch of non-HD channels as well.

>> Before startup - check if all tuners are connected and send me an email
>> if not.
>
> Stuff like this where it calls plugreport to make sure firewire
> devices are available, would be easier in Perl than Python. Perl is
> really designed as a blend between a batch language and a programming
> language. Python follows the C procedure, where you configure pipes,
> split apart the command line, fork, and load the new executable
> overtop yourself. Perl allows you to do stuff in such a custom manner,
> but they also support the backtick (``) inline calling that Bash uses.

I have downloaded the Perl manual. Now I just have to learn how to use
it... I have never used Perl before, but it does look like something I
should get into.

> Your shutdown script does some special stuff with mythfilldatabase,
> and I don't understand the reasoning. It appears you're blocking
> mythbackend from running it automatically, and have cron running the
> old +1/+14 update daily, and full update on Saturday. First, you
> should never be running '--refresh all' with Schedules Direct, use
> --dd-grab-all instead. However, why do you not want it run in this
> manner daily?

I have found that some of the programs that are over a week away, do not
have episode information from Schedules Direct. The result was that it
was showing conflicts in recordings because it decided to record the
same episode at the same time on several channels that were showing it.
Without a refresh all, it continues to have those conflicts until the
day before the scheduled recording.  I do a refresh all on Saturdays so
that those programs which did not have episode information now get it,
also if there have been schedule changes they can be applied.

> Why is your frontend startup script mounting drives, rather than
> leaving that to fstab and the normal system startup scripts? For that
> matter, do any drives need to be mounted to the frontend? MythMusic
> and MythGallery still require direct file access on remote frontends,
> but recordings and videos can be streamed from the master backend.
> Music and photos are due for similar treatment in an upcoming release.

The drives I am mounting are on another computer, which is not turned on
all the time. They have videos. The front end and back end are t he
same  computer. If the system starts up to do recordings. it will not
normally be able to mount them. However, before starting the front end I
turn on the other computer so that the videos are available. If I forget
to turn the other computer on it will not find the videos, but I can
just exit from the fornt end and start it again and the drives will be
mounted.

Thanks for taking the time to look at these and comment on them.

Peter