[mythtv] Profile builds and debug code

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Sat Mar 10 17:57:19 UTC 2012

I've been profiling some Myth functions using the --compile-type=profile
configure option and noticed that doing so results in Myth linking
against debug builds of Qt libs.  This is selected in settings.pro:

profile:CONFIG += debug

I was wondering what the reason for this was?

I'm of the opinion that profiling should be performed on a release build
that's instrumented to record time spent etc.  If there's debugging code
left in then the profiling won't be representative or useful to
optimisers.  There's some existing support for removing debug code in
that configure currently defines NDEBUG for profiled builds.

What do you think?  Should debug be removed or left in?

--
Lawrence