[mythtv] #10305 heads up, mysql.txt removal + config.xml changes + UPnP fixes

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Thu May 3 19:21:01 UTC 2012

On 05/03/2012 03:02 PM, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-05-03 at 11:24 -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
>> I've attached the latest patchset to the ticket. I just wanted to
>> give everyone a heads up in case they had strong opinions on the
>> config.xml format or want to look at the UPnP backend discovery
>> changes.
>>
>> Summary of changes:
>> * Format of config.xml
>>   + Database settings have their own top-level instead of being under
>>     <MythFrontend><DefaultBackend>.
>>   + Wake On Lan settings have been added to config.xml, these
>>     were formerly only settable using mysql.txt.
> The parsing of xml files is just a total waste of CPU resources.  They
> add no useful information c.f. a well constructed ini file,

FWIW, I think any machine that can handle running MythTV (or even
scripts that use MythTV) can handle parsing a 500B XML file.  Yes, I
realize that's nearly a half kilobyte, but still...  ;)

>> * mysql.txt reading has been removed. This does not port over
>>    Wake On Lan settings and all other settings not written to the
>>    file by default are ignored.
> There are many 3rd party scripts that rely on mysql.txt.  It can contain
> the same information as config.xml and takes just a fraction of the CPU
> resources to parse.  Why not settle for this file alone?  Or, what about
> a halfway house - a config utility that takes simple command line
> queries and returns simple text strings.

The bindings--both Perl and Python (and PHP?)--use only config.xml and
ignore mysql.txt.  When it was added (long ago), the decision was made
that it would be used for all future stuff, but we just haven't gotten
around to actually removing the mysql.txt stuff until now.

Whichever file we use, we need only one.  I really don't see any reason
why mysql.txt is better than config.xml--it will never contain a lot of
information, so...

Mike