[mythtv] status of MythTV wrt Coverity Scan

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Sun May 6 18:27:42 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I was just wondering if there was any interest in enrolling MythTV in
the Coverity Scan program.

If you're not familiar with Coverity, it's a static analysis tool that
looks for potential bugs in code, like gcc warnings on steroids.  It's
a commercial product which the makers make available to open source
projects at no cost.

http://scan.coverity.com/about.html

I noticed that MythTV is not on the list of participating projects.
Google turns up some references to MythTV and Coverity from around
2008 including this chat log:

09:42	<danielk22>	I did try to contact coverity about getting MythTV
into their scan program, but they never got back to me.
09:42	<stuarta>	using that admin address in the FAQ?
09:42	<danielk22>	yup
09:44	<danielk22>	I also tried contacting them through their main web
page, but then I just got sales people who knew nothing about the
program contacting me every few days.

and a few tickets that mention Coverity as having uncovered the bug
(e.g. #5549) but nothing recent.

Would anyone be interested in making use of this tool?  If so I can
contact them and see if I can set it up.

Eric Sharkey